Storm Alert Inc. Software Forum

Go Back   Storm Alert Inc. Software Forum > Weather Stations/Instruments Classifieds > Weather Stations

Unread 05-12-2003, 09:05 PM
wx_20

Question [SOLVED] Davis Vantage Pro....

How good is Davis Vantage Pro? Right now I have Oregon Scientific. Not working right after the supercell went around the area about a week ago. And too, I'm getting very bad data too.
Thanks,
Rodney
Unread 05-13-2003, 08:21 AM
Anderoonie

Ditch the OS and go for the Vantage Pro. I had so many problems with Oregon Scientific I had to go to a tv station and make a consumer complaint to get someting done. I had a WMR 916 wireless I think, horrible piece of equippment, not every accurate since it had no radiation shield. I have had my Vantage Pro since October 2002 and I have noticed a huge difference in reliability and accuracy. Davis support is also excellent, I was extremely impressed compared to OS. Wxduck you got one too so add your two cents .

Andrew
Unread 05-14-2003, 12:49 AM
weatherduck

yes 2 cents...if I could get the lid off of my change jar. I've had the VP sence November now and haven't had any problem with it sence right when the sent it to me, it had a bad console and everything didn't display correctly, I called Davis up was on the phone with them for no more than 5 min and 2 days later I had a new console that was working perfectly. I don't have a single bad thing to say about the station all except they could of done a little bit better job desiging how the have the rain gauge and temperature sensors so close together and the black from the funnel can make it almost hotter, not really that big of deal tho, if it really is spend a few extra bucks and get the fan asperated station.
Unread 05-20-2003, 08:19 PM
WeatherMan

I've heard nothing but good comments about Davis and owning one of their stations, I would have to agree. They make the number one stations and have top notch customer support. On the opposit end of the spectrum, Oregon Scientific is the worst. They make horribly inaccurate stations, and customer support is terrible. Stick with a Davis made station, and you'll be fine.
Unread 05-21-2003, 08:12 PM
JAToubes

I have the wireless. Last week, I got a letter saying my solar radiation sensor might be off 20-30%. I called, they rushed out a new sensor. I said that I didn't know if I had a problem, but they said better safe than not. and I installed it within about 30 minutes.

Great unit and I think with the sensor replacement, that they contacted ME, not the other way around, says it all. Definitely go with the Davis, but you should ask around Weathermatrix also has a Vantage pro page and get some information there before making the purchase.

I am impressed by Davis as I also have (not in use right now) a weather monitor II unit. I use this as a demonstration in my high school classes. Its easier to them a working unit than to imagine one.

That unit was out in the worst weather and still works.

ok my 2 cents...
Unread 05-21-2003, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Agreed all around with Davis. I have all sorts of instrumentation and they have always been the most reliable. On my old station, I even lost an anemometer cup due to hail, and although the station was 2 years past warranty, they send me a new one free of charge.

Of course it doesn't help to have multiples of the same station when you live in only one location,so I have my souped up Weather Monitor II for sale in the other post

Evan
Unread 06-01-2003, 07:38 AM
kq3f

I'm very late to the party, but I've had a wireless Davis Weather Monitor II and have not had a single problem. In fact, the Davis documentation notes that two photo batteries should power the station for 12 months. I installed the station with two batteries in September 2000. Replaced those batteries last Thursday, May 20, 2003.

You literally don't need to look anywhere other than Davis. Just buy quality and all else takes care of itself.

Well, my only gripe is that they came out with the Vantage Pro not too long after I got the Weather Monitor II. The drooling continues. Wonder if the new console works with the old station. I'll have to check.
Unread 06-01-2003, 07:39 AM
kq3f

The replacement date should read May 28, 2003.
Unread 06-01-2003, 07:40 AM
kq3f

Oh, just forget it! May 29, 2003. I'll go away now.
Unread 06-02-2003, 11:02 PM
joe42353

I wish I started reading this forum about the Davis Advantage Pro several weeks ago before I bought a new Oregon Scientific WMR-968 wireless. The unit so far seems to be working fine and it seems more accurate then the older models. My only complaint is the refresh time. the wind speed only refreshes about every 10-15 seconds. I understand the Davis is almost like real time. it's like you see the wind gusting outside but you have to wait 10 seconds before you can see the actual result. The temperature seems accurate as I made my own radiation shield and put a small computer fan in the box to pull the air in and it seems to work OK. Next time around it will be a Davis!
Unread 07-26-2003, 09:45 PM
wx_20

Thanks all for your help! Im getting my Davis Vantage PRO in four weeks. Can't wait!!

Rod
Unread 07-26-2003, 10:15 PM
JAToubes

I think you will be happy with it. Read the instruction book carefully, don't panic if something isn't right and of course call Davis instruments if you have things that are not right.

By the way, with the console... it takes 3 hours of data before it gives you a forecast. Not all what you need to know is in the manual.

And finally when you are ready... Do the rain dance for moderate weather.
ok....? put your right foot in, put right foot out >. (why are these peope in white coats looking at me????)))))
Unread 09-05-2003, 10:56 AM
Boyd

Under what conditions would you need the fan-aspirated radiation shield for the Vantage Pro?
Unread 09-05-2003, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Boyd, all official instrumentation is fan-aspirated. What the fan does is draw environmental air through the sensor. If you're really wanting this most accurate data, this is very useful in ensuring your temperature/dewpoint data is correct during light to calm wind regimes where the air can stagnate in the sensor and become unrepresentative of the air around it.

Evan
Unread 09-05-2003, 12:43 PM
Boyd

So basically you're saying, under all conditions. Makes sense to me, otherwise it seems that you may, at times, get artificially high temp and humidity readings.

Oh well, there goes that plan to save a few bucks!