Storm Alert Inc. Software Forum

Go Back   Storm Alert Inc. Software Forum > Weather Stations/Instruments Classifieds > Weather Stations

Unread 09-04-2003, 07:17 PM
indywxguy

[SOLVED] Weather Channel wireless weather stations

Has anyone had any experience with the new wireless weather stations selling for under $300 using The Weather Channel brand name? They look like nice units and have been heavily promoted using a video information kiosk at many Meijer stores. I am wondering if anyone has any real experience with them yet and can provide feedback as to how well the wireless features work and how reliable they are?
Unread 09-04-2003, 09:07 PM
Mike Ulrich

I'm not that familiar with this particular unit, but it looks like it is manufactured by La Crosse Technology. You can purchase probably the same unit online without paying extra for the logo.

Here is a good seller and a link for at least a similar unit.
http://www.ambientweather.com/ExtDesc.asp?id=692

I personally have a Davis Wireless Vantage Pro. I'm very happy with it and it is the second Davis weather station I have owned. Davis has a great reputation for excellent customer support even handling out of warranty problems for free.

Be sure to compare the accuracy of sensors for any station and the update intervals for wireless products. For example, you will find some of them may only update wind speeds every 15 seconds or longer. Not much good at catching wind gusts.
Unread 09-05-2003, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Mike is correct, and as a personal, but justifiable opinion, I would stay far away from anything manufactured by La Crosse. A cursory look at Ebay on any given day will list dozens of these stations sold by a number of sources and not fetching a whole lot....there's a reason for that.

Home weather station wise, Davis (weather monitor II or vantage pro) is the way to go in terms of sensors, accuracy, customer support/service and most of all cost.

Evan
Unread 11-16-2004, 03:12 AM
DNNTODAY10

I Bought The Temperature Station Model, & When Shielding It In The Garage, It Tends To Be Sometimes As Accurate As My Davis (Although It Isn't Now), But I Only Use It As A Desktop Gadget, Not A Reliable Forecaster. It Makes A Nice Clock Though! I Wouldn't Personally Rely On It For A 24/7 Forecaster.